Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Good Times with Google Maps

I am reading the book Independence Days by Sharon Astyk.

One of the things she recommends doing in your free time is making "backroads" directions for close friends and family, so that in a catastrophic event that closes the highways, your loved ones will still be able to get to you. I envision this scenario post-fossil-fuel and have therefore come up with the following information.

It will only take me five hours on foot to meet up with Miss Gokey at Mojave this way.

It will only take me TWO hours to walk to the corner of Lake Mead and Lamb like this.

Sorry, Krista, but seven hours? After that, I think I would lack the ability to climb over the surely-by-then-defunct gate! We should devise an equidistant place to meet, because the post-apocalypse world is nowhere that I want to live without your banana bread and jam!

In the process of doing this task, I learned that it would take just short of a week for my parents to get from the recently-closed public library around the corner from their house to within a mile of me on their tandem bicycle by following these directions.



From there, it would take us just short of a month to walk to the middle school around the corner from my bff's house by this route.

Although the directions are in beta and warn that "This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths," I feel that I have taken one more productive step toward preparing for the upcoming apocalypse. If we make it to 2013, perhaps one day I'll strap my tent to my back and start walking towards home during summer vacation. Probably not.

On a slightly off-topic but still related matter, this evening after Amanda and I opened our matching packages of free address labels from the National Museum of the American Indian, we celebrated Christmas. I received The Zombie Combat Manual: A guide to fighting the living dead. 
This super-useful gift will come in very handy, I'm sure.

In the meantime, though, I will continue enjoying Erik Larson's Isaac's Storm, about how Isaac Cline fared in the great hurricane that hit Galveston, TX in 1900.

1 comment:

  1. I will gladly choose an equidistant place to meet. Thanks for the continued promotion of my blog.

    ReplyDelete