Thursday, January 26, 2012

Classic American Cultural History

I remember that when I was growing up, my Mammaw had a liking for the acting skills of Michael Landon. I never saw the appeal, being more enamored to the likes of the entire cast of 21 Jump Street, but I am happy to report that whenever I am home for a vacation in Indiana as an adult, I get to enjoy Bonanza with my dad. He watches it on a weird half-channel called, "me TV." So that was my most recent exposure to Michael Landon until my roommate Amanda reminded me about Little House on the Prairie.

WHO in their right mind would ever have guessed that Little House on the Prairie would offer an episode that goes by the title of "Survival?"

I took notes while I watched. (Mock if you must, but this information will come in handy someday!) I also attempted to live up to my New Year's Resolution of being useful by writing a student video guide for the episode at the same time. Here are a few questions I wrote for the kids. Take a stab at them:


2. Which of the following best describes what the women/girls wear on their heads to keep warm in the wagon?
a. baseball caps            b. knit bonnets                        c. beanies         d. earmuffs


8. Can you think of a better way to transport a deer besides carrying it on your shoulders?

13. Why does Lamehorse take a hot poker out of the fire?

and finally...

16. Would you help someone if it meant risking your life? Why or why not?

17. In which circumstances, if any, do you think it is acceptable to tell a lie?

And now for the piece de resistance, my unedited field notes to this episode. 

Survival Tips from Little House on the Prairie

¨     Wear warm clothes when traveling in the snow
¨     Invest in a big axe, and a hatchet which you will NOT drop in the snow for a person of dubious motive to find
¨     Snowshoes!
¨     Mark your trail
¨     Learn, study and remember history
¨     Spend the time during which you are tied up to plan your escape.
¨     Echoing James Wesley Rawles, it’s good to know how to perform minor surgery in the event of an emergency.
¨     Go ahead and lie to the law if it could save somebody’s life.
¨     Echoing Erik Larson, always believe warnings about bad weather from people who have more experience than you.

Speaking of watching TV with roommates, I remember blitzing through the entire series Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I wish I had taken notes. Oh, well. If you're a Buffy fan, please to remember my favorite episode, "Lover's Walk," from season three. Of course you can't watch the whole episode on youtube, but here's a link to the original version of the aspect in that episode that absolutely makes it my favorite. 

I fear I have strayed VERY FAR from my intended topic. That's the danger of the internet. I also fear I've spent too many posts talking about TV. If you will, though, consider this: these posts about TV have less to do with TV itself than they have to do with spending time with people.

I vow to dedicate the next posts to something that doesn't wiggle around on a screen powered by electricity. (Except of course that I plan a post about video games, because video games help us improve hand-eye coordination.) Until then, my loyal readers...

1 comment:

  1. Loved your questions. Plus it is always a good idea to re-watch Buffy!

    ReplyDelete