Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Location, Location, Location

The problem with long weekends is that although it is fun to think about laying around all day, when it's 1:30 p.m. and you're still in your pajamas (therefore not fit for public viewing) you get a little bored.

If you're me, this means you type, "places to go during the apocalypse" into Google to see what comes up.
Turns out the first few results are from Business Insider and Mother Nature News.

I like the second article better, because although it is limited to the United States, it has actual information in it that you may not have known before. I personally had never heard of The Greenbrier Resort, Mount Weather or Cheyenne Mountain. I would love to begin an investigation into the location of Vivos, but I doubt I would have much success. If you sleep at night on top of large piles of money, this is the story for you, as you can actually purchase shelter. This reminds me of the NWI Times article about 1950s bomb shelters that I clipped over the summer. I particularly like the last place listed, "Your crazy neighbor's house." Haha. Indeed.

While searching for the aforelinked article, I participated in a survey question, "Should Hammond sell water to Illinois residents?" I voted, "no," and found out that I stand with the minority, 39%. Fools! Don't you know water is the most valuable resource in the New Economy? Ugh!

At first, I thought I would like the Business Insider piece, because it mentions Denver, and I like Denver, but later on it gets racist and/or takes the attitude that the U.S. can and should continue taking over the world, so...if you're like me and you prefer my website over and above all others, I've saved you some time. Apparently, that's the Business Insider style: snarky. I'm all about some snark, but I like to be on the giving end of it instead of the receiving end. Much more useful than the original article was this list of 20 things to stock up on, which I found in the Economic Collapse Blog while clicking away from the previous site.

Lest you think that all I do is search the internet for signs of gloom and doom, I thought I would post some photos of last weekend's trip with Miss Gokey to the Historic Railroad Tunnel Trail in the Lake Mead NRA. It is part of the national Rails-to-Trails Conservancy and provided some good practice, since walking long distances seems like it's going to be my M.O. after the end of the world. If you lack the time or stamina to read through the articles, I will tell you that the trail used to be a railroad line that shipped supplies in for the building of the Boulder/Hoover Dam. If you *do* read the articles, please take special note of the fact that this part of the rail line is particularly awesome because most of the rest of it is underwater. Ok, I have to go. I need to watch Northfork again. Since the theme of this post is location, I thought I'd share a good one. Enjoy.

Here's a distant view of what we've done to our hydroelectric miracle...

These concrete plugs were used as placeholders at the bottom of the lake before the water went in.  Then they got thrown off the side of the railroad bridge.


The remainder of these photos are the doorways to the tunnels &tc.






No comments:

Post a Comment