Monday, October 7, 2013

Help My Pumpkin!

I lacked the foresight to take a photo when I arrived home Saturday afternoon to the sight of an overturned styrofoam plate on the sidewalk. As I closed the gate and inspected the package, I saw that a hole had been chewed through two layers of plastic bags and the plate. I flipped it over to find...

...a batch of my Granny's homemade brownies. Ruined! Now, if you know anything about my Granny's cooking and/or baking, you know that a ruined batch of brownies really is tantamount to a national emergency. I saw the culprit running for his life and screamed at him as I waggled my fist in the air and he bounded up the tree. I warned the evil, evil squirrel that Buddy (the border collie) was going to kill him on my behalf.

(Upon hearing about my reaction to the disaster, Granny promptly delivered another batch of brownies.)

Critters. Another little secret of the Midwest that seems benign until...in addition to the brownies on the back sidewalk...there's this in the front:


Also the work of the demon squirrel! I even BLEACHED the pumpkin before sitting it outside, but the squirrels don't seem to care. They keep coming back for more, and before you know it my pumpkin will be rotten and un-usable.

Thank goodness for the internet:
http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-curried-pumpkin-soup-181975
http://whippedtheblog.com/2009/01/11/vegan-pumpkin-chocolate-chip-muffins/
http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/vegan-pumpkin-bread/
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/vegan-pumpkin-pie/

I say "thank goodness" because the pumpkin I'm going to rescue from the front porch and butcher WILL NOT BE THE LAST PUMPKIN!

It is my first October in the Midwest in 11 years (because the mid-Atlantic doesn't count as the Midwest), and durnit I will have a perfect pumpkin on the porch.

In the meantime, this is a truly apocalyptic scenario. It is truly unforeseen and rather devastating. This is why we must prepare, people! So that our food that we set out for ourselves will not fall victim to fluffy-tailed rats. I need your help, loyal readers:

How the heck do I keep my pumpkin away from the squirrels? 

Popular Mechanics (more about Popular Mechanics in an upcoming post) actually advocates this as a carving solution:


ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!? Ugh. 

I will leave you on a brighter note, however, my dear readers. Some new and different Halloween decorations that I haven't seen for years have surfaced in my parents' house. Check out this mummy that I painted when I was in middle school. 

Don't hate. Appreciate. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment