Thursday, October 17, 2013

Did someone say AARP magazine?

Nope, no. No one did, but I'm about to. That's right: my magazine problem is so severe that I'm now reporting to you on a story in the October/November issue of the magazine mailed out by the American Association of Retired Persons. At least I think that's what it stands for. I can't find it on the website. AARP is, incidentally, the nation's largest lobbying organization. Clearly, AARP votes on issues of importance to retirees.

Here are the hints from the magazine's "Reimagine Your Life" guide, which it seems is an advertisement for this book. I'm not saying that my readers' lives need to be reimagined. But I've been trying to reimagine mine, including making some flying leaps out of my comfort zone - you may have noticed all of the math problems I've been posting on facebook! AARP is talking specifically to their target demographic, retiring baby boomers. However, I found that the tips they offer are general and applicable to a wider audience. Namely, me. Maybe you, too.

Step 1: Reflect on the path that has brought you to where you are, and set goals for where you want your path to take you.
2. Establish or identify your "feedback panel," or your inner circle of people you can use as sounding boards. Unlike other systems that suggest setting up an inner-circle team, AARP also assigns roles to the team just like a good teacher assigns roles in a collaborative group. The roles are: catalyst, connector, taskmaster, and mentor.
3. This step is my favorite: open yourself to the unknown (in my case, SAT math). The magazine states that you can separate what you've always done from what you do in the future. AARP suggests "change your standard route home from work." Pretty tame. But it goes from there to things like opening a business. If you are a certain type of person, like I am, you can keep track of your feelings about your explorations in a "possibilities journal."
4. Next, choose from one of your newfound passions and follow it. Here's my favorite quote from this part: "Multiple paths lead to the goal of reinvention." I agree.
5. Remove the obstacles that are keeping you from reaching your goals, including everything that is part of who you used to be, but is no longer part of who you are. (I'm sorry, AARP, but I'm just not ready to dispose of the gigantic plastic tub labeled "World History teaching materials"...yet.)
FINALLY...
...drum roll please...
...more ellipses just for fun...
6. take action. "Take a step," says the magazine, "in a new direction. ANY direction."

Sounds good to me.

I have also learned from this article that retired people have an awful lot to think about. I guess we all do.

Good luck on your quest. If you are inspired, as I was, by the advice from our forbears (as I assume my readers are mostly members of my generation), let me know in a comment what new and scary activities you are participating in.

No comments:

Post a Comment