Tuesday, August 7, 2012

One Last Adventure: Pick N Pull Photo Essay

For my last full day in Indiana until December (unless something drastic happens), I was happy to go with my Dad to the Pick-N-Pull junkyard. This was the first trip to the junkyard in my life. I think.


I thought this would be a good opportunity to take some photos of what might be an apocalyptic landscape, and to see what the junkyard will offer after our impending doom. For now (I'm sure they'll charge more when the need for their services is more acute thanks to the end of the world), there is a $2 entrance fee to try your luck and see if any of the cars in the vast lot have what you want. In our case, we were looking for a tailgate for an 03 Mazda Tribute - if anyone knows where to find one for less than $300, let me know.
The lady at the entrance checks to make sure you're wearing real shoes with real toes, takes your money and stamps your hand like nickel night at the Bluebird.


The whole place smells like burnt metal and spent fireworks and looks like this and this:
(that's my dad).

Something tells me that the Highway at the End of the Road will be far less organized.
Instead of finding insight into the apocalypse, I mostly found components that an artist could use to make some really cool installations. Items included lots of taillights (they seem to remove those and display them for easy picking) and miscellaneous bolts. I am not an artist, but anyone who is can find a lot of fodder here.
Three years ago this past April, I emptied the contents of my 1993 Subaru Impreza into a series of little plastic Carmax bags and said goodbye to the vessel that contained many of my life's most significant memories. It struck me that each of the cars in the junkyard had a similar story to Sidney the Subaru's.


(The various heartwarming bumper stickers were what drove home this sad point the most.)
And here, for no apparent reason except that it's cool, is a good(ish) view of Hammond's 9-span bridge. Check the background.
I realize that for my readers, trips to the junkyard have already been a part of life, instead of being a contemplative exercise on the End of the World, like it was for me.
The Pick N Pull keeps the cars for a set amount of days before sending them next door to be crushed into cubes-of-metal-formerly-shaped-like-cars. Hopefully, wherever Sidney the 93 Subaru is tonight, it will be a long time before she ends up in a place like this.

At the end of the morning, we did not find what we needed at the Pick-N-Pull. Maybe a similar place has some insight for you, loyal readers. In the meantime, please visit that Subaru link and take a moment to vote for a charity to take part in the Share the Love event.
Happy picking!

No comments:

Post a Comment