Saturday, May 5, 2012

Apocalypse Birthday!

My friend Krista and I have an annual tradition to meet (or try to - one year we failed and ended at Red Robin) at our favorite Mexican restaurant, Bonito Michoacan, for 5 de Mayo, where we also celebrate our nearly-mutual birthdays. Imagine my delight when I pulled the tissue paper from my gift bag and found an Emergency Zone kit!  I am now officially fabulous. The kit contains enough stuff to keep me alive for nearly three days. I will add it to my growing stockpile of portable get-out-of-town supplies!

In addition, I'd like to offer my preliminary review of the ReVIVE series solar charger for my phone, iPod and Kindle. I stuck it in the window as soon as it came out of the box (thanks Mom and Dad!) and used it to plug in my phone. Works like a charm! Even the instruction manual warns, however, that it will only charge up to 50% from the sun. It works best when plugged into the wall, so solar charging is only good for a "boost," but whatever, it's still the coolest gadget in the universe, and it is only my second attempt at harnessing the power of the sun. (The first being my banana chip adventure, and there I go hyperlinking to myself again!)

For my more POST-apocalyptic fans, I offer the note that came with my mockingjay pin. (Weirdest hyperlink ever!)
Oops! It's sideways. And blurry. But it reports that my pin is an authentic prop replica. XD
And I don't have Jodi's permission to post it. So...it may have to come down. But not right away.

The reason it's blurry is that I'm rushing to go for a walk with Miss Gokey to see the supermoon. I was alerted to the Supermoon by my Sigma Kappa big, Michelle Gessler Terchila.

As a final note, if you'd like to wish me a happy apocalypse birthday IN PERSON, Southwest Airlines is offering a pretty cool contest to win a trip. But if you win thanks to my alerting you, you have to at least call me, unlike half of my cousins when they come to Vegas.

On that happy (birthday) note, I bid my readers adieu and go out to look at the sky.


No comments:

Post a Comment