Wednesday, November 28, 2012

For Your Review

Well, I promised a book review. It's of a teenage romance novel that takes place in a futuristic dystopia; sadly, I haven't finished it yet.

I'm also a day late, but lucky for me, occasionally tardiness does have it benefits. Most of this post is based on some VERY interesting information I came across in a Review-Journal that was laying around in the auto shop. This "news" is actually about a week old. Anyone who watches the nightly news is already informed of these things, all of which blew my tired little car-problem-addled mind.

First of all, the Moapa band of Southern Paiutes has made a deal with the city of Los Angeles to let them rent land for a solar farm. This means that the Paiutes will be selling solar power to L.A. as early as 2016. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, you can read about it here. This is momentous. Did I already use the word momentous? Somebody besides me must have read Suzanne Weyn's teenage novel, Empty.

REVISION!!!
I nearly forgot about this video featuring my Wittenberg sorority sister's daughter and her classmates.

Secondly (that's right, there's more), MEXICO has decided to rent Lake Mead for water storage and to therefore GIVE UP part of its rights to the Colorado River! WHAT??? This long but super-delicious story includes a MAP (map! map!) of the water allotments for the seven areas that split the water from the Colorado for hydration and power. *drool* The agreement is only good for five years, but it's a major step toward fairer use of what is arguably the planet's most important resource. At least, it's the planet's most important resource when you live in the desert.

AND THEN!
Finally...the selfsame issue of the RJ handed me the following transition, which otherwise could have been horribly awkward, on a silver platter with this opinion piece about the Twinkie. Yeah, yeah. But this opinion piece is actually awesome. My favorite part is: "Flags in the schoolyards of childhood memory immediately were lowered to half-staff." Well said, John L. Smith. Well said.

The day of the 2012 Hostess debacle or the next day, Sue Phipps linked this video clip on facebook. It's from Zombieland, a movie I had never seen. Sue, and her sister Kristy, spoke so highly of Zombieland at the delicious Thanksgiving dinner that they cooked, that I just had to see it. I now own it, love it, will keep it forever and HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend it if, like me, you are late to the party.

Twinkies are a recurring theme in Zombieland.

I had to stop on my way to the movie clip to watch a Miles Jai fanmail video. Beware profanity. We love Miles Jai.

So, that's that. Next time, All These Things I've Done, which I read about on the now-defunct but still archived Book Envy blog. The fact that the blog is archived means that I'm late once again when it comes to reading this novel. I think I'll skip tomorrow, my regular updating day, and then return you to your regularly-scheduled Apocalypse Blog next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment