Wednesday, January 11, 2012

It's About Time

What follows is my review of Time magazine's 2012 User's Guide: Essential Info for the Year Ahead. 

I was disappointed in the attempts of the writers to make political forecasts, as these forecasts do not help my quest to prepare for the uncertain future. However, there are some gorgeous maps in the issue that you social studies teachers will want to rip out and share with your students, including "Where the 1% Lives," "A Map of Trouble," and "Million-Dollar Disasters."

This last map was located in the middle of my favorite article in the issue, "Weather Beaten." I suspect that my enjoyment of the story is based on my continuing read of Erik Larson's Isaac's Storm and my lifelong love for Tom Skilling. I was devastated to learn that Tom Skilling isn't on Twitter, although I have recently liked him on Facebook.

Quoting "Weather Beaten:" "...the answer for anyone in harm's way is to quit seeing the warnings as a hassle, an inconvenience, a chance to gather for a hurricane party. It takes only one gust of wind, one loose foundation, to change your life forever. That's not sensationalism; it's the hard truth." Now THAT, my friends, is apocalyptic! Kudos to Jim Cantore. Jim Cantore has a Twitter account.

I also enjoyed "Fearing Well," because I prefer the soft sciences, and "Control Freaks," about how TV networks are dealing with the switch to on-demand streaming. Again, however, these pages offer little advice.

Finally, "The Last Party" is a fun little flow chart suggesting activities and travel ideas for "your options for how to ring in Armageddon."

There you have it. In my quest to be useful, I have saved you some time and helped you to decide whether to budget $4.99 for the issue on your next trip to the store. I am living up to my New Year's resolution. If you want online access to the content (more useful for you social studies teachers, perhaps, than ripping the maps out, especially if you don't have a document camera), all access magazine-tablet magazine-online is $30 for one year. As for me, I will save my $30 towards buying a variety of sources from the newsstands.

Happy newsmongering!

No comments:

Post a Comment