Monday, March 4, 2013

Into Each Blogger's Life...

...a little distraction must fall. I will specifically say two things.
1) I am less of a fruit ninja and more of a fruit smasher.
2) After shoving the English, French, and Industrial Revolutions into 20 slides with 4 short video clips and one really cool game called Who Wants to Be a Cotton Millionaire, I decided to push Russia's slides to another day.

Since I got distracted and cheated you out of a post, I am also shoving my blog posts this week to Monday, Wednesday and Friday before returning you next week to your regularly scheduled memoir.

Right. My magazine problem.

The editor-in-chief of one of my favorites, Sunset magazine, had this to say in the February issue:
"Long, meticulously planned vacations to far-off places are enormous but rare pleasures. It's the short trip, maybe just one night, that keeps us sane."

I totally agree with her, and I am happy to say that this past weekend, I was able to ride along on an overnight trip to see my favorite baseball team, the Cubs, lose to the San Francisco Giants in a spring training game.

Here it is:

You can see that the stadium is small and intimate, therefore completely making up for my annually neglecting to go see any Cubs games.

I was surrounded by happy Giants fans wearing sunglasses. I bought a totally-neutral t-shirt. I celebrated having survived the apocalypse by doing something ostensibly non-zombie-related, and hopefully, my sanity will reward me by sticking around to fight for another day.

On the way to Arizona, I flipped through my recently acquired copy of Cooks, Clowns, and Cowboys, but I made quick work of it. It's filled with full-page glossy photos of "101 skills and experiences to discover on your travels." I give it a thumb-to-the-side, which is my way of being noncommittal. There is no way we can ever do all 101 things. The skills are interesting and include survival classes in Utah, cheese-making workshops in various countries, dance lessons, etc. They are the kinds of adventures that are "enormous and rare." If I ever go on one of the suggested journeys, I will share the full report.

In the meantime, what short trips have you recently enjoyed that helped keep you sane?

No comments:

Post a Comment