Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Around the Block

According to yahoo answers, which I think is less reliable than even wikipedia, the phrase, "been around the block a few times," originates with British Pagans who believed their lives would be prolonged if they danced around the "blocks" of Stonehenge. It might not be right, but it's a good story. 

I'm using it here to refer to the obvious writer's block that I complained about in last Friday's post, which I'm hoping to get around. 

The Memoir of Narrow Escape actually does have a theme, and I wonder what you think the theme is. Haha. 

In the meantime, I have envisioned other blog concepts, one of which I'll discuss now. I suggested it to my cousin, but she did not respond to my suggestion, so feel free to steal it. 

Concept #1 is "Second Life," wherein the blogger follows an item s/he has sold, freecycled, or (dare I say it) pawned, either researching to find the story of the object as told by its previous owners, or keeping in touch with its new owners to see where the object ends up. Kind of like a geocaching travel bug, but concentrating more on something like the ratty old couch (which is how the idea started, because the ratty old couch came from Krista's first classroom, and I know there's a story about how it got there, but I don't remember it). 

(More parentheses, huzzah! There's a second ratty old couch that was purchased by the former project facilitator, now a high school teacher, which at last viewing was in the lounge of a high school where she worked a decade ago but doesn't anymore.) 

Concept #2 (that's right, there's more than one) is more of a short story collection, because it is fiction, and it involves a Sliding Doors-type collection of vignettes that follow Jeannette Winterson's idea that there are millions of versions of us, because each time we make a choice, there is a parallel universe where one version of us lives out the other choice, the one we didn't make. Therefore, we follow an opportunity that we failed to take advantage of, all the way to its natural conclusion. 

All of this reminds me that I would still like to write a novel. 

Any suggestions as to what it should be about? Let's see if your concepts come anywhere close to what I have in mind. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment