Tuesday, July 24, 2012

More Lite Reading

In an attempt to glean what lessons I can from history for the purposes of preparing for a cataclysmic event that will force humanity basically back into prehistory, I've read what is called a "commodity history" for what I believe is the first time in my life. (Does Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond count? Maybe? oooooh, what's this book called Collapse? Onto the wish list it goes!) I finished Mark Kurlansky's Salt.
If I ever do succeed at learning how to fish, perhaps some of the recipes in the book will come in handy.

Salt chronicles the influence of everyone's favorite road-de-icer and table condiment in human history. It is amazing to think about the starring role taken by this seemingly innocent treat we all just leave sitting out in a container in our kitchens. Some of the starring roles might be a little stretch. I mean, I've seen holes in the earth dedicated to coal, silver, and gold, but the only salt mine I've ever seen (on my way past the honey stand to Joshua Tree National Park) was a creepy barren field with salt just laying there as far as the horizon.

If I were assigning importance to commodities, then, salt might not be at the top of my list. But thanks to this book, it is now at least ON that list. I particularly enjoyed the illustration of the Grand Hall in the Wieliczka salt mine circa 1867, which inspired me to resolve to someday visit Poland. I also enjoyed the stories about families in upstate New York winning cash prizes for getting the rooftops closed in the solar evaporators of the 19th century, the many markets of Dead Sea Salt, and, most especially, I loved Chapter 21, "Salt and the Great Soul."

It didn't always keep my attention, but I am glad that I read it.

I also just finished Cultivating Democracy: Civic Environments and Political Socialization in America. WHOA! Look at that price! I did NOT pay that much for this book. And it will NOT help you prepare for apocalypse. It will prepare you for a post-apocalypse status quo that is, to me, more terrifying than the aforementioned cataclysm. And then, it will only really prepare you if you are a social studies teacher. If you are interested in Cultivating Democracy, let me know, and we can talk about it. The book is, without a doubt, mmmmmm delicious. For teachers. NOT for zombie hunters.

Next up and started today: 1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created. I am optimistic about the learning contained in its pages, because it starts with an anecdote about heirloom tomatoes. It is also the textbook that my classes' Vicarious Voyage partners read as their textbook this past semester.

Speaking of optimism...here's a little something I've been meaning to share with y'all for a while:
(it's ripped off from who knows where. Don't tell anyone.)



And that's not all! But for further reviews and discussions, you will have to wait.

Hmm.

That's funny.

Now that I proofread this post, I realize that you could have known all of this information about my summer reading list just from following me on GoodReads.

Oh, well.

Hasta la proxima.

1 comment:

  1. I too enjoyed Salt and found that the commodity was far more interesting than I had originally thought it could be. I will have to read some of the other's you suggested. I read Potato a few years ago and I learned a new appreciation for my favorite veggie.

    ReplyDelete