Thursday, July 12, 2012

Teach Me To Fish...

During my annual week-long excursion to the Tittabawassee River to hang out with some of my favorite people on the planet, I decided that this year would be the year when I would test my ability to feed myself post-apocalypse using that most classic tool, the fishing pole.

Many thanks to Dale Hendershot and the Michigan Department of Natural Resources for making this experiment possible.

You will see from the images that compose the bulk of this post that I was unsuccessful catching protein sources, but highly successful catching salads on my fishing line. At one point, Alex said, "The river must know you're a vegetarian."

Here's a nice shot of Alex driving the pontoon.


Salad #1

Salad #2


Salad #3

And now for the piece de resistance...the salad to top all salads...






Dale says that the seaweed-like plant I kept catching is actually not tasty to eat, but that in a survival situation, it might work.

I had a tremendously awesome time trying, and I resolve that one day I will become skilled, but in the meantime I leave you with a parting shot of Dave working on untangling my final catch of the day: his fishing line!



Happy fishing, loyal readers!

1 comment:

  1. Next round of fishing can be in the river I live on! I saw the current residents catch a big one this week. I might have to buy a fishing licence!

    ReplyDelete