Friday, June 28, 2013

Good Fences Make Good Neighbors

The twitter feed for the Thoroughly Entertained post reviewing, among other films, World War Z, called it "tense and scary." I want to watch Krista and Scott's review, but first I'll give my own without being influenced by their opinions.

I am happy that I had the opportunity to see this movie on the big screen, and that I did not have to wait for Netflix, which could have taken years. 

What can we learn from World War Z? My top five: 

1. "Every human being we save is one less [zombie] we have to fight." This line really struck me. What kind of zombies are we talking about? I think this wisdom applies to more than just the creatures in the movie. 

Two seconds later, because we didn't seem to learn it from the Great Wall of China, Hadrian's Wall, the Berlin Wall, and the large fence between U.S. and Mexico (was that ever actually built?), 
2. a wall erected to keep invaders out is rarely effective. 

3. Possibly, when you end up the seemingly only survivor of a deadly plane crash, you might feel like a bit of a jerk. Until you realize you are also impaled. 

I kind of don't ever want to fly in an airplane again. But, not flying in airplanes conflicts with some of my important life goals, so...

4. When it comes to a baseball bat, a crowbar, and an axe: "Each has its merits."

Finally, I personally learned that

5. I should perhaps have married into the military. Then again...no, thanks. 

So. Go see it if you haven't yet. Whatever you expect it to be, it's a little different than that, and a little more than that. 

In just short of six months, it will be the holiday season. If the people on your gift list are zombie fans, I highly recommend buying them this movie, Warm Bodies [self-link], and the excellent novel by and about my homeland of Northwest Indiana, Dust [real link]. They will love you forever and possibly gift you with beastie stuff like juicers and hacksaws in the future. 

Now to see what Krista and Scott had to say. 

No comments:

Post a Comment