Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Stalling Again

An update on the thorn which is still in my thumb: tonight it festered itself out of there, but when I tried to grab it with some tweezers, it burrowed back into the squishy soft bits of my thumb-flesh. This thorn will surely kill me.

In other news, back when I was obsessed with vinegar, my mother sent me The Vinegar Book. It arrived while my Granny was here, and I thought it was all 1970s, only to find out that it was published in 1994. I must have missed the vinegar boat while enjoying my junior year at HHS.

Apparently I was obsessed with the wrong kind of vinegar, after buying 5 gallons of the white stuff. The money vinegar is the apple cider variety according to author Emily Thacker. She basically claims that vinegar can heal everything, including the common cold. Get a load of this:

"To chase away a cold, soak an eight-inch square of brown paper (cut from a paper grocery bag) in apple cider vinegar. When the paper is saturated, sprinkle it with pepper and bind to the chest with cloth strips, pepper side of the paper next to the skin. After 20 minutes, remove the paper and wash the chest, being careful not to become chilled."

Seriously, if my mother had tried to bind a pepper-sprinkled vinegar-soaked grocery bag to me in 1994, I would have called the asylum on her, and possibly also DCFS.

Also olive oil + apple cider vinegar = sunscreen.

I don't know about Emily Thacker. She must have a really good agent. I don't have a cold, so I can't try the paper bag trick for you, and my face is oily enough without slathering E.V.O.O. on it, but I guarantee that I will try something from this book and report back to you before the month of April is out.

Until then, you know where to stock up.


No comments:

Post a Comment