Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Memory Eraser

As I predicted as I was leaving Don Sutton's garage on Saturday night to go over to Miss Gokey's and plan our fabulous SPRING BREEEEEAAAAAK!!!!! (upcoming), I sat down today on my freshly-weeded patio, put on my gloves and safety glasses, picked up my preform and remembered...absolutely nothing.

I will prevail, however. Via YouTube and the magical wonderland known as the Clark County Public Library, I will remember how to make a sharp pointy weapon from a rock. That's what Don Sutton was teaching me how to do in a lesson I dubbed "flintknapping for the total beginner." It was super intense. Here are two of the arrow tips that Mr. Sutton demonstrated making for me.



The process of flintknapping is truly amazing, and this past Saturday's excursion to North Las Vegas to see and try it was one of the best possible uses of my time that I can think of. Mr. Sutton is an artist. Here's a link to some of the pieces he makes.

Flintknapping is more physical than any of my other hobbies. Forgive me for saying so, but although my shape is good, I am not in good shape. That's why it took me a day and a half to sit down and try it again. My arms were sore from exerting force, although Mr. Sutton said such exertion was unnecessary and advised me not to grunt. I seem to remember that I also whined at one point, issuing the same kind of whimper as my parents' border collie when he wants to hit the trail but you're not moving.

I am not a patient person, but getting a boulder down to the size of the items you see in the photo above is an exercise in meditative patience. You kind of have to get the rock to talk to you. It's good at first, almost shouting, "hit me here!" But by the end of the process, when you almost have an arrowhead, the rock forgets to say, "Attention Patawan: you are holding me backwards and upside-down."

Imagine the delight of my students if they knew that in addition to talking to my own self, the computer and the walls, I now also talk to rocks.

During a nice Sunday conversation with Dana of Kaleidoscope Faith, I was talking at her and saying that these are exactly the types of skills that we need to learn and pass on to future generations lest they get lost. Judging from the forums and events that happen nationwide, there's no danger of losing this skill any time soon. Nevertheless.

Below is a photo of the kit and sundry goodies with which I left Mr. Sutton's garage. The copper tools simulate the antlers the indigenous people would have used during the Neolithic Age as they chased their food sources around.


It would be so cool to be able to say, "Make a pointy weapon from a big rock? Yeah, I can do that."

I can't say that yet, but I will be able to someday. 

Happy working on your marketable skills, loyal readers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment