Sunday, March 25, 2012

I Can't Even Say It!


It's the most perfect line ever. I used it on my Nevada Reading Week door. I used it in my March 23 Friday letter. It's on my souvenir plastic cup. Therefore I feel it would be weirdly redundant to put it in here, so I'll type it really small.

May the odds be ever in your favor. 


By the time this post goes live, I hope that most people who read this page who are going to see The Hunger Games have already gone and seen it. (Don't worry, I won't be a plot-ruiner.) I also hope that all who are going to see the movie have already read the book.

I read the book a while ago and did not re-read it before going to the movie. I'm glad I didn't re-read it. I must say the movie is fabulously beautiful and as faithful to the book as it can be without merging into the second book.

My reading of The Hunger Games trilogy was definitely the first event on my personal post-apocalypse preparation timeline. The Hunger Games was written by a graduate of my own alma mater, Indiana University, and according to some, she plagiarized the idea from a Japanese novel written in the '90s called Battle Royale.

That novel is on its way now.

Perhaps my being so enthusiastic about the film means that instead of being a person who prepares for the apocalypse, I am a person who falls for the first clever marketing ploy. Be that as it may, I would not trade my $10 ticket or my $3 souvenir cup.

There's something about arriving at the movie theater at 11 p.m., loading up on nachos and coke, and then bursting into tears within the first 15 minutes (yeah, it's that good) that just makes me feel really American, in a good way.

I'm guessing that thanks to this movie premiere, nuclear war will be trending on the Doomsday Dashboard.
Let's check it...
Nope. Weirdly, "megaquake" has hit an unbelievable 49% as today's scenario of choice. Personally, I'm not finding anything in the news feeds or my twitter feed regarding recent earthquakes, so...
an anomaly. Please, if you know about an earthquake, tip me off. Thanks.

And now there is nothing I can say about it that hasn't already been said, so I will leave you with some advice from Haymitch:

Here's some advice: stay alive.

Enjoy the movie.



No comments:

Post a Comment