Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Fresh 52 and the Greeks

$2.41

That's how much it cost me in fuel according to Road Trip America to go to The Fresh52 Farmer's Market, which happens each weekend in extreme southeastern Las Vegas. I don't think I'll be going to Summerlin on Tuesday afternoons anymore if I don't have to.

Don't get me wrong. Fresh52 is just as scrawny, with a majority of the booths selling bread (which I can make at home instead of buy - shoot, after that recipe I got from Pinterest, I'm convinced I should be selling loaves, not buying them), popcorn, pizza and hot dogs.

My issue was that even after my roommate sold me a bottle of Clover Honey for $0.00 so that I would have an emergency supply, I was running out of honey and was about to have a conniption fit if there was not a beekeeper at the corner of Eastern and Silverado Ranch. Lucky for me, a youngish guy with a pickup truck advertising his dislike for some of my favorite presidents and his support of some candidates I think are kind of crazy was hawking one flavor and some little wooden honey dippers. He bent the ear of the person in front of me for nearly six full minutes. The person was clearly not going to buy anything, while in the meantime I was mentally (and maybe even out loud, it's hard to say) chanting honeyhoneyhoneyhoney.

I walked away to another booth where I saw honey bears. Although orange flavored honey probably would have been delicious with that Pinterest cake (ahem, I mean bread...), I decided to go with what I knew. I did what every person who ever went to a crowded bar in their 20s knows how to do: I pulled out my money and waggled it at the salesman to indicate that I actually wanted a product. He winked at me. *shudder* But I got what I went to the market for. I also came home with spinach, asian pears and four really large, beautiful lemons.

How do I feel about buying honey from a guy who wants to string me up and take away my rights? Um...I'll get back to you on that.

In the meantime, while you're waiting for my response to that somewhat accusatory question, check out this article in the Guardian if you haven't already seen it on Facebook. I was just telling my students two weeks ago that Greece was busy getting bailed out just like us. It seems they're cutting out the middle man in Thessaloniki.

Our Europe unit is over, however. We will have to wait until next year to talk about Greece again. In the meantime, we are studying the continent of Africa, and I am following Proverbs of Africa on Twitter.

I will leave you with one from the Congo:
"He who looks for honey must have the courage to face the bees."

Bon appetit.

No comments:

Post a Comment