Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Water, Water Everywhere

It's the question that's on everyone's mind, but few have the courage to ask it: how much water can a person safely drink before hyponatremia sets in? I have the answer. I got it from Scientific American. I was inspired to ask the internet this question because even though the past two days have been a perfect and cool 75 here in the Mojave, with enough rainfall to make weeding the patio easier than it normally is, I know what's coming. We got a taste of the 100-degree heat about a week ago, so I remembered this image I ripped off from Pinterest (which means WHO KNOWS where it came from), and I started making vitamin water.



Doesn't that raspberry lime one look good? I thought so, too. The pineapple mint looks disgusting if you ask me, and I like both pineapples and mint, but I won't be trying that one. What happened when I went to Fresh and Easy, however, was that raspberries were expensive and blackberries were cheap. Fresh and Easy also didn't have any sage. So I made Blackberry Lime, considering that none of the homemade vitamin water websites tell you exactly what "vitamins" you are getting from your diluted fruit water. There linked for your convenience is a list of combinations you make at home, from a blog that uses this very same platform.

I've been downing an average of 64 oz per day, and according to the aforementioned magazine, you can safely consume 1,000 ml or 32 oz per hour and not come down with hyponatremia. Now you know.

The Scientific American webpage has a tab at the top for citizen science, which you know that I'm into because science is cool and the internet makes it easy to participate in data collection projects. Current projects include a marine debris tracker app that you can download and send data when you see debris on beaches, a museum transcription project that I was hesitant to learn more about because to learn about it you had to actually do it, and even a project that involves uploading photos of roadkill to UC Davis!

I encourage participation in this kind of stuff.

It now occurs to me that this whole post is dedicated to a set of #firstworldproblems. That's ok, though, I think. Most of my 3 readers live here in the 1st world as well.

Well, unless something drastic happens, my next post is likely to be just a photo. Until then...have a great time collecting data while sipping your delicious fruited waters!

No comments:

Post a Comment