Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Random Media Reviews

I feel ill-equipped to deal with posting tonight, so I thought I would use the old idea I put out there a while ago about telling you about random movies I've been watching on Netflix. For a while there, I was on an indie-road-trip-film kick, and I thought

The Go-Getter was decent. This high school kid who has lost his mother steals Zoe Deschanel's car and takes it on a quest to find his long-lost brother, who is 18 years older than him. It's creepy in places, and if you suffer secondary embarrassment on the behalf of your fictional characters, this one's chock full of that. It ends well, however, so I recommend it, only if you have nothing better to do.

I also cued up a movie called Drool. It had nobody in it I recognized. It is the story, told from her daughter's perspective, of a mother-of-two who lives in a dream world most of the time. A new neighbor moves in, and when the mom befriends the new neighbor, she also begins an affair. Her husband catches her and pulls out his gun, at which point...mom accidentally shoots him. The road trip component involves the family (including the new neighbor) dealing with the body. It's not bad, so I recommend it, again if you've nothing else on your plate.

Then I watched one that was terrible. Really, really terrible. So terrible that I don't even remember the name of it and wouldn't tell you even if I did, because, in the immortal words of one of my long-lost collegiate sorority sisters, "Some days just need to be wiped off the calendar."

Finally, I decided to watch Craigslist Joe. In this one, a sensitive guy decides to see if he can live for a month using nothing but the tools of societal decay: social media. Specifically, well...as the title would imply. His experiments result in shenanigans and realizations. I recommend it if you are into sociology.

Right now, I am actually in the middle of Percy Jackson and the Olympians: the Lightning Thief, because my students credit it with any and all interest they have shown in ancient Greece. So far, so good. I'll get back to that now.

I must say. Watching movies about quests is not the worst way I could be spending my new borrowed time. Now, if you want some *real* entertainment news, check out Thoroughly Entertained. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment