Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Walls Came Tumbling Down

Based on my having watched The Colony, Netflix recommended that I might like Jericho. In the interest of, "I saw it on TV, so it must be true (a line from Garfield the cat)," I went ahead and watched the series. (I suppose that I should update Garfield's line to, "My TV told me to watch this, so I did.") I have just now finished it and thought I would review it here. The basic premise is that a bunch of major cities have been bombed off the planet. The residents of one small town try to deal with the chaos.

The good: This show oozes upright morals. We accept our neighbors even though it gets us into trouble sometimes, we come together even though it hurts, we get in fights but still love one another in the end. We also always, always defend each other against outsiders like government people, no matter what. Another thing I liked about it is that apparently, after a major national catastrophe, there will be plenty of gunfire. It's definitely an action show with an engaging story line. There is no lack of weapons, ammo or explosive stuff in the world after the world ends.

What useful tips can we learn? Nothing that we haven't already read about in James Wesley Rawles or Time Magazine. Have a farm, guns, and medical supplies. So...I hope we all have all that stuff.

The bad: Jericho is way melodramatic. WAY melodramatic. And I'm pretty melodramatic myself. About halfway through season one, they almost lost me to the melodrama. But I'm glad they didn't.

The ugly: Some of the main characters occasionally have facial tics that increase the melodrama factor, so if weird twitches freak you out, this show is not for you.

Watch it if: you are in the mood to be preached at about right vs. wrong, or you have a hankering for feeling superior to people you believe to be morally wrong.

Do not watch if: you hate syrup and squirm when others twitch.

I gave it 3 stars for a mild, "I liked it," on Netflix. Netflix now recommends the British version of the same show. It's only 12 episodes, so sadly, I will soon dedicate another post to TV. Ugh.

On the book front, I am mostly finished with a kids' book called Empty which I started earlier today.
The premise is that the world has mostly run out of oil. An intertwined group of teenagers try to deal with the chaos.

I'm off to curl up in my flannel pajamas and finish that one right now.

Good night, loyal readers. Get some rest: it's hard trying to deal with all the chaos. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment