Thursday, July 18, 2013

It's Like a Heat Wave

No, wait...let me check...it IS a heat wave, ready.gov's definition being "an extended period of extreme heat...often accompanied by high humidity." (Note the humidity part as an explanation as to why I haven't talked much about heat before.)

You've had to wait a few days for a post, but there's a good reason for that: in an AC outage during the 2nd-hottest day in Chicagoland since last August (the hottest day being, of course, tomorrow), my immediate family evacuated to my Granny's house for a night until the AC at my parents' house could be fixed.

It was this impromptu campout that inspired me to search on ready.gov on your behalf, so that you know what to do if a similar outage happens in your neck of the woods.

Honestly, the list of things to do "before" a heat wave is pretty intuitive: know your neighbors, update your disaster kit, check your weather stripping...One suggestion I thought was interesting was putting reflective material into your windows. Like sun shades for the house. I have seen this done out in Las Vegas. It doesn't look good, so some communities don't allow it, but if the government says it's effective...well, in MY opinion you should use your own knowledge of your surroundings, your own common sense and aesthetic tastes.

Here's what to do DURING the heat wave:
- Crank up your NOA radio (I assume you must have one by now) and stay tuned for weather alerts.
- Never leave children or pets alone in closed vehicles.
- Stay indoors as much as possible. I will revise this to, "as much as you can stand." I personally had to play squeakyfootball with the dog for five minutes a day to avoid going completely insane.
- Stay on the lowest floor out of the sunshine if AC is not available.
- Postpone outdoor games and activities.
- Consider spending the hottest part of the day in public air-conditioned buildings.
- Eat well-balanced, light, and regular meals. Do not take salt tablets.
- Drink water, not caffeine or alcohol.
- Dress in loose-fitting, lightweight and light-colored clothing.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat. :)
- Avoid strenuous work during the hottest part of the day.
- Check on family and pets. FINALLY...
- Avoid extreme temperature changes.

So...that's that. As for me, until the heat breaks I'll be reading a trashy romance novel and doing more experimental cooking. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment