Tuesday, July 30, 2013

All's Fair

This blog after 12/21/12 has two primary purposes: to prepare us for UNanticipated disasters in our lives, and to celebrate that the world did not end on the aforementioned date.

This post is dedicated to the latter, and it features photos from my day at the Elkhart County Fair with Miss Gokey.

I would like to be able to say that I'm the one who looks good in the "evidence photo" that proves I was there, but I can't. Instead, I'm concentrating really hard on getting both of our heads into the frame.




It was a day during which I did not get to see a tractor pull, because this blogger, as able as she might be to survive a camping trip in the wilderness, is not able to locate the correct train platform when it counts. Before we start celebrating, allow me to provide a little bit of public service and inform you: MAKE SURE YOU ARE STANDING ON THE CORRECT TRAIN PLATFORM. That way, if you want to, you will get to see a tractor pull.

Did you know...the rides at fairs do not run before a certain hour of the day, causing everything to look all weird and creepy like the empty carousel pictured below.

 
 
I don't know what I was thinking when it came to taking photos. I managed not to take photos of any of the food we ate all day, but I did capture the spirit of fair food, wherein one can go and pet some very cute animals only to be directed to a nearby booth where you can EAT its cousins, with this photo:

 
The fair is a good place to get information, like how to bid on a cow at auction (did you know you don't actually have to take it home?), and the parts of a llama, which you totally need to know:
 


The actual llama is cuter. I'm a big fan of llamas. I find them endearingly goofy-looking.


Facts about sheep:
 
 



WHERE is my photo of the view from the Ferris Wheel? I don't know. Miss Gokey decided that if you're going to die on a badly-constructed fair ride, it might as well be the one that debuted at the 1893 World's Fair. It was terrifying. Oh, well. We shall have to content ourselves with the view from the place where we ate some ice cream:
 

 

A-ha! HERE'S the view from the Ferris Wheel:


I took that one right after I won a little dolphin from a shooting game. See, that long-ago visit to the Gun Store really paid off!

Vicious bunnies...

and finally, all's well that ends well. I didn't get to see a tractor pull, but I did get to see a horse pull, and that's the same thing, except with horses instead of tractors.

 
 
And that pretty much sums up my day with Miss Gokey at the fair, although it doesn't do it justice. For as long as Miss Gokey shall visit Elkhart County in the summertime, I will endeavor to accompany her. One of the non-pictured activities we participated in was a class about composting. There was a powerpoint that went along with the class. If you are interested in learning about composting and seeing the powerpoint, the presenter will send you the presentation if you email him at burchkingsley@gmail.com. 

Next time, as we continue our summer celebrations, I will tell you all about Pierogifest. Maybe. I might just complain about Bear Grylls. I haven't decided yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment