Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Rocks and Green Things

That's what this post is:

Another set of slides for my presentation-in-progress, entitled, "Why We Should All Retire To Springdale."
Wait, what?
That's not what this blog is about.
This blog is about the fact that none of us is going to get to retire. Because the world is coming to an end. Right. I nearly forgot. And, so I suppose this is what this post is:
Life is too short to wait.

Other things happened. A ROCK. RAINED. On my head. It was resplendent!

But the life goal that I accomplished over Labor Day weekend was the goal of walking in The Narrows in Zion National Park, a feat I discovered was possible in the fall semester of 2006, when a then-aspiring member of the class of 2011 informed me that he'd done just that. That day, as students' pencils flew toward my head with reckless abandon, I decided that before the world ended, I, too, would take a walk inside these "Narrows" of which my student spoke.

We couldn't go into the Narrows on Saturday due to a flash flood warning. But after walking to all three Emerald Pools and enjoying outsized ice cream cones at the lodge, we were happy to see that the flash flood warning for Sunday was LOW. So, on Sunday, in we went!

Most of the photos of me in the Narrows are not fit for human consumption. In the one you'll see below, that's my, "I'm smiling so hard my face is about to crack" face. I wish I was a better photographer. Next time, my cousin Josh or my friend Krista (who has hiked Angel's Landing, by the way, and I'm not jealous. I'm happy to see the world end while judiciously avoiding Angel's Landing!) will have to fold themselves into the back seat. I'm just glad the disposable camera was in my waterproof pouch when I bit it on the way back out to the Riverside Walk trail. (Out of respect for my perennial travel companion, Miss Gokey, I will let her go through all the shots before I go tagging her on the internet.) Enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment